Friday, January 23, 2009

Trains


So tonight Emily and I went on a "Date". Ha, that sounds so funny. We went to the train show at Thanksgiving point and saw a lot of cool model trains. It brings back some good memories. There was an exhibit that had American Flier trains, as I was looking around at the different trains, one rolled by and caught my eye. It was an old one from the early to mid fifties, exactly like my dads. It even has the exact same smell from the smoke. I had to have spent countless hours as a child laying on my stomach in my diaper, playing with Dad's train.

Emily and I are going to make a train board in our spare time. To start things out we bought a new Engine and some cars and some track because it was super cheap. And Emily bought a little set of pigs. This is an N Scale train. It's like and inch and a half tall, if that. It's awesome.

5 comments:

LisAway said...

I love the image of you wiling away the hours as a baby in your diaper playing with that train. Cute. And now you'll be doing it again, only without the diaper, and with a wife. Have fun!

Susan said...

So is this the real thing that brought you and Nate together? :)

Unknown said...

sexy date. I love that you can remember the smell of the smoke from a train. can't wait to come over and play trains

Carlynn said...

That is awesome Nate. Dads train is one of the things I remember most about Christmas time (that and laying underneath the Christmas tree in the dark while those awesome old-fashioned lights flashed). You were so cute with your train fascination as a toddler and up. Fun memories. Do you still have your conductor clothes? lol

I was pleasantly surprised by one of my MIL's Halloween haunted houses that has smoke coming out of the chimney...the exact smell of Dads old train! I couldn't stop whiffing it. lol.

I wonder how the little fur kids will like your new train board?

Anne said...

I won't tell Isaac since he'll be SUPER jealous!

He's been begging for a train to go around the tree ever since Christmas! He goes back and forth between wanting a steam or deisel engine. HO scale is the size that goes under the tree right?

I'll have to get some tips from you and your dad!